Saturday, August 14, 2010

new song

The landmark years aren't the ones in which you receive some government-granted plastic card, right, or responsibility. Yes, I think the right to vote is incredibly important. But being allowed to drive, being allowed to hold an alcoholic beverage in your hand...negligible when you consider the things you experience at other ages.
At the age of 22, many of us leave college and take our first steps into the "real" world. The excitement of truly being on our own, taking on additional responsibilities, leaving the caring, loving, greatly appreciated, but at times, overbearing, surveillance of our parents, teachers, neighbors, friends' parents...the excitement hits us most immediately and we can't wait to leave. But then the bills, the new rules, the responsibilities, unfamiliar territory that we must learn to traverse and accept...they hit us second, like a stinging slap in the face, like being pushed into a cold ocean. Don't get me wrong: I'm ecstatic. I have an incredible opportunity waiting for me in DC, great housemates, a loving family, wonderful beautiful friends. I'm just nervous, as usual.
I remember listening to "What's My Age Again" by Blink 182 and I have to say that I never thought I would identify with Blink 182 song lyrics after I left high school, but I do now. If you haven't heard this song and listened to the lyrics, give it a spin. They mention the age 23. As do a handful of other songs having to do with the awkward period that is post-adolescence or the early stages of adulthood. I wrote my own song having to do that period of time.

It's in 4/4 and in A-flat major although it goes between some minor and major key progressions. I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe "23" or "On the Verge of 23". Let me know if you think of anything.

Songwriters and poets have decided that this is the age
When glamour and glory start to fade
And the hangings on the wall do start to change
And we learn that everything's not always going to be okay

The first gray hairs appear upon your crown
And a new line is drawn each time you frown
Responsibility weighs heavily
On the verge of 23

Just around each corner sits a sign reading "turn back catch-22"
Leaving me with nothing left to do
But cry, but crying's not allowed when you're outside
So I've got to wait 'til night when I can hide

Regret turning down the hands that came my way as I cling to the phone
Because I once thought that I could do it alone
Responsibility weighs heavily
On the verge of 23

No one told me it would be this hard to learn to live
Asked to pay when I've got nothing left to give
Watching shadows on the wall as I lie awake in bed
Close my eyes so I can rest my weary head, my weary head
On the verge of 23
On the verge of 23

No comments:

Post a Comment