Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Renegade!

It's official!
I'm finally going to stop being an obnoxiously non-committal ninny and I've signed onto play with a competitive mixed club team based in the metro D.C. area! The team name is Renegade and is captained by an AWESOME Wellesley alum who graduated before I began, with whom I've always wanted to play. One of my former Whiptail teammates will also be playing with me, as well as a friend from Stanford who I haven't seen in over a year.
Take a look at this awesome idea for our jersey:
The part that makes me nervous is the time commitment, but I finally realized that if I freak out about being tired/time, after I finally get used to having a 9am-5pm commitment, I'll realize that I have no friends and nothing to do in my free time. I'll have practice twice a week and 2-3 tournaments through the Fall, depending on how far we make it into the Club Series. I also have to do a track workout once a week along with base conditioning which I do anyways, so no big deal!
The first track workout was 6 x 400m sprints. Anyone who has done track or track workouts before knows that that was going to stink. I think that the apprehension with which I approached with this assignment messed with me because I went out WAY too fast on the first one and then ended up being unable to finish the workout. I went 67 seconds, 78 seconds, and then 89 seconds, and then couldn't do the rest. It was really really frustrating and put me in a terrible mood.
The track workout this week was 6 x 300m sprints, still strenuous, but not as bad, because I personally find that last 100m in the 400m to be the hardest part because I seem to run out of gas around the 300m mark. I was smarter about pacing, and it ended up going really well!! I DID manage to finish the workout and I ended up getting the following times:
60 sec, 52 sec, 57 sec, 59 sec, 60 sec, 50 sec
The fact that I was able to go 50 seconds on the last one probably means that I should've gone harder all the way through, but it felt really good to stay under the "fast" benchmark time that our fitness person gave us for the workout. WAHOO!

Knowing that I have a commitment outside of work and a group of people to meet and spend time with right after my move makes me a lot less worried about adjusting to DC life and a lot more excited to move into my new home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment