Monday, May 23, 2011

crash course in public speaking

I have nicknamed May 2011 the "crash course in public speaking." Why? See my previous blog post - I had two speaking engagements this month, the first time I've ever had to give any sort of address or talk in front of people, where the liability did not just reflect upon me but also on my organization. Eeek!
My first presentation was to the Board of Directors about two research projects, one that another senior researcher is doing and another one that I'm leading. The second was for an event hosted by the Women's Information Network (WIN), a panel titled "Social Security on the Rocks: What's at Stake for Younger Women." For a write-up of the event, check out my co-worker and friend Jennifer Clark's blog post! I spoke about the specific importance of Social Security to women of color and the anti-poverty effect of the program. Here's a very unflattering photo of me speaking on the issue and a better photo of Melissa Byrne from the Strengthen Social Security Campaign (another panelist) and myself.
I am happy to report that both events went very well, and that I received lots of positive feedback from IWPR staff, members of the Board, as well as the young women professionals that attended the WIN event. I learned a number of things about public speaking and research-based presentations from these two opportunities. Among these lessons:


  • When possible, try to stand when giving a presentation; it makes you feel more empowered.

  • You do not need to hit every point on each power point slide, some details are just left up there as a reference for the audience.

  • Don't over-rehearse, but make sure you get comfortable with the numbers and technical terminology you'll be using.

  • Use your hands to emphasize your points; don't hold them behind your back or cross your arms.

  • Stand with your weight distributed evenly, and stand up straight.

  • Engage the audience with eye contact. If you're nervous, pick someone who seems to be responsive to what you're saying.

This doesn't mean I won't be nervous for my next speaking engagement, but I'm glad that these went well!

No comments:

Post a Comment