Sunday, March 6, 2011

almond rice w/sautéed kale

Oh man. I love food. And because cooking leads to food, I love cooking, as well. Having grown up in a society in which instant gratification is almost always expected (you know who you are, you texters who freak out if you don't get a response within 5 seconds of sending something to your friends), cooking is wonderful. As soon as you put the effort in, something wonderful is almost always produced!

This afternoon, I decided to try something new. I had seen my friend Annamaria eat rice with whole almonds in it before, so I decided to put a spin on that. I don't know what to call this dish, but for now, I'm thinking of calling it Almond Rice with Sautéed Kale. Here is how you make it:

1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan with a cube of vegetable bouillon.
2. When the water is boiling, add rice and boil until cooked (you can use any rice that you want, I used regular long-grain white rice).
3. Coarsely chop a handful of unsalted almonds and toast in a little bit of olive oil over medium heat.
4. Wash about 1/4-head of kale and cut away and discard the base of each stem; then cut the kale leaves and stems into bite-size pieces.
5. Season the kale in a mixing bowl with olive oil, rice vinegar, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Massage the oil and vinegar into the kale leaves.
6. Take the almonds out of the pan and put in the kale leaves and sautée very lightly, just enough to soften the stems.
7. When all three items are ready (rice, almonds, and kale), mix them all together with a little bit more rice vinegar to flavor the rice. It's now ready to eat! Mix with pan-fried tofu for a lil' more protein.

SO TASTY!!! OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment