Thursday, March 17, 2011

japan

I am absolutely horrified, as is everyone else, with what the country of Japan is going through right now. I just cannot fathom having to endure the devastation of both an earthquake and a tsunami, along with the radiation exposure and ramifications of the damage to the nuclear plants in Northern Japan. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I have avoided reading the front page of the paper the past couple of days simply because I can't bear to look at the pictures and feel that it's gotten to the point that I'm no longer taking in information about the progress of the rescue, clean-up, and damage control efforts overseas, and that looking at and reading the news coverage is simply adding to the already overwhelming and somewhat unproductive emotion that I feel for the Japanese people.
I am frustrated, upset, overcome with sympathy, and I was glad to be able to make a donation to Global Giving on my birthday to go towards the cause but wish that I could do more. I almost feel lazy giving money when I know that in the end, someone has to help collect and identify the bodies, someone has to rebuild the homes and the offices and the stores, someone has to help console and heal the injured, both physically and emotionally...I wish I could do more.

Please consider donating to the cause. I just learned that Living Social is matching donations over $5 to the American Red Cross, so that's another donation opportunity to look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment