Thursday, March 24, 2011

crap in south dakota

I usually like to share these links on Facebook so that my friends and contacts can be made aware of what kinds of events and policies and ideas are being circulated. However, each time I tried to think of a comment to attach to the link, I found myself wanting to write something that was mildly offensive or perhaps too scandalous for me to want to write it on a public space. So, I've decided to retreat to my personal blog for now. But one day, I'll take the advice of my friends and start a political blog of my own...when I'm confident enough to share all my stances with more people.

The governor of South Dakota, Michael Rounds, signed into law a bill banning abortion, except in the case in which the mother's life is put at risk, in which case the abortion will not be considered a felony. This is a depressing and infuriating step in a chain of anti-choice legislation that has been proposed and/or passed in various states across the country, confirming my suspicion that we are moving backwards in time, and that our society and government have unfortunately decided to listen to extremists and polarizing voices rather than trying to find solutions that help as many people as possible. As if the broad ban of abortions weren't enough, another law, signed by Governor Rounds on Tuesday, requires women considering abortions to attend consultations at "pregnancy help centers". Why the quotation marks? Well, because these "pregnancy help centers" in South Dakota are run by people with an agenda that is decidedly anti-choice.

The factions in the debate surrounding abortion call themselves a variety of things:
"anti-abortion"
"pro-life"
"pro-choice"

I've decided to call the two sides "anti-choice" and "pro-choice," because that's what they are. As far as I know, NO ONE is "pro" abortion. Anyone who knows anything about the options and procedures for abortion know that it's not an easy choice, that it can be somewhat traumatic, and that it's not something that anyone would want to choose to go through. Those on the anti-choice side wave around graphic images of fetuses in jars, rant and rave about how anyone getting an abortion will burn in hell, etc., etc. But what they don't seem to understand is that NO ONE thinks that abortion is some fun joy ride. It is a painful, difficult choice that some women unfortunately have to make, and making it even more painful, even more difficult, even more traumatic, making it ILLEGAL won't change the fact that nobody WANTS to get an abortion.

I find it horrendously hypocritical and bizarre that the Republican Party was founded on the principles of individual choice and small government but today seems to so haphazardly apply these principles. When it comes to policies that would help low-income families and historically disadvantaged people such as the Affordable Care Act, strengthening Social Security, and the Paycheck Fairness Act, the government, they say, has no role and should not be involved. But when it comes to treating women like beings without agency or minds of their own, when it comes to funneling money to the Department of Defense, when it comes to artificially protecting the agricultural sector, when it comes to making cheap trade deals, there is no hesitation: government rules, whether the people agree or not!

I am terrified and angry and depressed and inspired to act when I hear about things like the recently-passed legislation in South Dakota, and I hope that you all get as enraged and inspired to act, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment