Friday, March 26, 2010

Whiptails Extravaganza: Part I

I got back this weekend from my last Spring Break with the Wellesley Whiptails...and I had a WONDERFUL time :)
I can't help but get incredibly nostalgic as my time at Wellesley College is really coming quite rapidly to a close. 6 weeks of classes left, and in exactly two months, I will be leaving this beautiful place with a diploma in hand, having moved out of the dorms for the last time.
Refocus: the point of this entry was to tell you a little about my time down South with the ultimate frisbee team! While I wish we had done a little better at our tournament in Georgia, overall, it was great fun, and it seems to me that the team enjoyed it all and still managed to come back to campus relatively well-rested, as we changed up the itinerary this year and decided head back to Massachusetts a couple days early. First things first, if you look to the left, you will see an example of my amazing new cleats. They're Nike Mercurials...yeah, yeah, yeah, old model, but I love them. I used to have red and black ones, but they broke, and I was tired of wearing black cleats so I got new ones! I now have a horrendous set of blisters/deep wedges cut out in the skin over my achilles tendons from breaking them in, but these babies are almost worth it, heh.
The first couple days of our Spring Break consisted of LOTS and LOTS of driving. Sara, Steph, and I ended up in the same car (yes, we requested it), and we rode in Steph's massive, embarrassing, forest green Suburban. As usual, the car trip was tons of fun, with stupid activities from our team scavenger hunt, lots of music, and lots of bonding! The pictures below show Sara driving, the two cookies (newbies) that were also in our car, shown here atop of a zebra at South of the Border, and then myself trying a Five Guys hamburger for the first time. Delicious.
Then, when we got to Statesboro, GA, we competed in College Southerns, hosted by Georgia Southerns University. We didn't do particularly well, coming in something like 15th out of 36 teams, and the only reason we ended up in that spot was because our last two games on Sunday were wins by default since both teams that we were supposed to have played left early. However, it was a great chance to see what we've been working on play out on the field, and it was lovely to see the sun! People were generally in good spirits...until we played the host team. Georgia Southern had one of the MOST unpleasant captains that I've ever met. She was incredibly rude, defensive, and she contested and freaked out about calls even though she herself didn't know the rules. My whole team complained to me about how terrible it was, so after the game I pulled her aside and pulled out the rulebook to explain to her all the wrong calls she made, and then told her that she single-handedly made the game incredibly not fun to play. She actually was receptive and apologized. I thought I was going to get punched in the face. Thank goodness. I ran into a couple friends from Rutgers, Princeton, Dartmouth, and Tufts, which is always nice. I ended up with tons of random injuries/scrapes, which resulted in me making frequent trips to the trainer. We got to the point where we were on a first-name basis. If you look below, you'll see that I'm sitting on the trainer's table. My ankles are taped because the blisters were "granulating" (??) so they needed to be covered, my finger is taped because I had an accident with a razor that took off too much skin, my left hand is in a brace/splint thing because I sprained it, and I look sad because the trainer just scrubbed my humongous grass burn abrasion thing with a gauze and hydrogen peroxide. Most painful experience ever. Next, you see a picture of some of my adorable teammates, and then me with my favorite trainer, Von Miller.

Then, we headed out to Folly Island, SC. This post is quite long, so I will break it up into two parts. See you in the next entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment