Monday, March 29, 2010

Whiptails Extravaganza: Part II

Onward! For the second part of our Spring Break in the South, the Whiptails caravanned to Folly Island, South Carolina and stayed there from Monday through Thursday! We kicked off the week by participating in a inter-team hat tournament. Dartmouth and Cornell also participated. My team won :)
The week was filled with all sorts of fun social activities, and the captains took it somewhat easy on the team this year. We gave the team a day off and held practice the day after for about 3 hours. But the rest of the time, people had to go into Charleston, frolic on the beach, relax, and do whatever they felt like doing. On Monday night, we celebrated Steph's 22nd birthday by having a big party at the beach house. Sara made Steph a birthday shirt, which she is modeling in the first picture below. A few of my teammates and I had brunch/lunch at the Lost Dog Cafe, a lovely restaurant in the center of Folly Beach, and enjoyed some delicious Southern food. I had a biscuit with gravy and also creamy grits with cheese, shrimp, and some vegetables...so so so good. And so heavy.
After practice, the next day, a whole bunch of the team went to the beach! It was warm, sunny, and gorgeous...though for the first time in my life, I didn't go into the water. I usually make a point of going into the water at least once, no matter how cold it is, if I go to the beach. But the combination of the ridiculously low temperature of the water and the potential of me being in immense pain from the salt water stinging my abrasion and blisters were enough to deter me from going in. We spent a few hours there, some of the team built sandcastles and buried a teammate in the sand in the from of a mermaid, some of them flew a kite, some of them went swimming, some of the read and basked in the warmth of the sun.

Sara, Steph, and I were also ridiculous and went back to high school and took Myspace profile picture-style "sexy beach photo shoot" photos. I'd say Sara succeeded...me....not so much! But it was fun, anyways :)
After 3.5 days at the beach, it was time for the team to head back up North to get ready for our second tournament, Get Skyy'd, which was held in Stonehill, MA. We went 5-2, not bad, and came in 9th place out of 20 teams. We're hoping to make a better showing at Sectionals in a couple weekends, but for now...back to practice! I'll leave you with this adorable shot of our team in front of the beach house before we piled into the cars and headed back up the East coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment