Monday, April 19, 2010

marathon monday

Today was my last Marathon Monday as a student at Wellesley College...hate to get nostalgic again, but I'm going to have to tell you that my thoughts, songs, and writings are going to have that tinge of reluctance and memory to them as I continue to move towards the end of my time in this beautiful, crazy, but beautiful place. I got together with a few of my friends, including one who studied abroad with me in Aix from Amherst College who came to visit for the weekend, and we got dressed in Wellesley College Scream Tunnel tee-shirts and got ready to cheer up a storm!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the famous Boston
Marathon "Scream Tunnel", let me tell you a little bit about it: the Boston Marathon course passes right next to Wellesley College along Route 135. Year after year, Wellesley women have lined the road with hands waving, clapping, voices cheering, screaming, smiling, holding signs, giving embraces, high-fives, and kisses to the people who have taken on the challenge of running 26 miles from Hopkinton to Boston. From what I hear, it's an incredible, invaluable experience for those running. As they hit the half-way point, right before "Heartbreak Hill", they're given an extra burst of energy and hope as they approach and run through the deafening support of thousands of Wellesley women. This year, I got to see a whole bunch of classmates, old roommates, alumnae friends, and inspiring individuals run through, and it was thrilling! It's always inspiring to see people running for love, for friends, for causes, for life...
It was a really weird feeling, seeing good friends, alumnae, former problem set partners, roommates, and club members running by and cheering them onto success. I have a feeling that this is what life is going to feel like from here on out. We're going to see our classmates' names, our friends' accomplishments written out in the sky and in lights, proclaimed in the paper and on the television someday, and I won't be able to help but be proud and smile and cheer them on, knowing that we've had a common four-year experience. Of course, none of our times in college have been the same, but we have an understanding, a strength that I don't think that many other people can say that they share when they leave college.

No comments:

Post a Comment